Monday, March 15, 2010

Peru Saga: Sunday:a day for guns and alcohol

I was on call last night and am a little hung over...from sleep deprevation. 3 gunshot wounds, a 23 yo with gun shot to the head on life support, a 18 yo with a broken femur and another shot in his foot that we dug out with local anesthesia, and another guy who passed away. I was watching the news today and his family was on there telling the story. One of the guys that went to surgery was shooting at police and as he went in the police said to the doc Just let the SOB die. And the doc said jokingly I will do my very best. The guy is doing just fine. One of the crazy things about this hospital is there is not a lot of linens so yesterday I had to mummy wrap two kids to suture their heads and got sheets bloody...nevertheless the ladies in charge of the linens were pretty angry because they didnt know if there were going to be enough sheets for the patients. Most of the gurneys don{t have any sheets at all on them. They are pretty gross to because they don{t get cleaned after every patient and will have dried blood clots on them. Another guy came in with infected wounds from a car accident the day before. he broke his femur into 5 peices and his tibia in two. His wounds smelled horrible. Another guy got into a motorcycle accident and I had to suture up his face. Before he was leaving I commented to the intern taking care of him that he had lost consciousness after the accident and was thinking that we should get a CT scan because of his trauma. He didnt show any huge signs of bleeding in the brain, so right after we talked about the warning signs of mass effect on the brain such as vomiting, seizures, somnelance...As we were talking he started to seize. And we got a CT scan. The problem is that if you dont have the $100 for the CT scan they wont attend you and the center said that the there was no doc until 8am the next day (which was not true) Anyways it has been pretty frustrating and even though our system costs a lot of money I am happy for materials, sheets, and being able to get diagnostic testing for patientsLast night I went in on a appendectomy and was also surprised to see that they don{t put the patient under general anesthetic and intubate. The patient woke up during the procedure and was thrashing his arms. Crazy.As for other things, I went to the institute dance and had a blast. I am pretty shy when it comes to asking girls to dance, but I felt like the world was my oyster here and I had a great time. Also other news, I just got an email telling me that I have matched and that I will find out where my residency is on Thurs.Thanks again Melis for picking me up and we will see you guys on WedScott

No comments: