Monday, March 8, 2010

Peru Saga: it was good the old man was drunk

Today was actually slow and ironically a group of students from florida came to see what an ER in peru was like and there were no patients. I laughed as hours before the place was full of gun shot wounds. I sutured up a man in his 50´s that was drunk and was hit by a car and again was flung on to a metal fence. (They are human shishkabobs here). He broke 5 ribs and had a deep wound the size of my toe nail clippers and about 1.5 inches deep. We were worried he had punctered his lung but he was alright. I had to sew three layers of sutures from his facia to his skin. It took me a long time so his anesthesia wore off but luckily he was still feeling his self medicated anesthesia. I decided that if I ever get in an accident I want to be drunk or drugged up. Other cases today included an old woman who broke her arm. A guy whose motor cycle taxi fell on his foot and had a compound fracture aka his bone was sticking out of his foot. Another guy who broke his nose a woman who fell on a fence and had air in her abdomen but no signs of damage to her intestines or diapragm and some other people that I don´t remember.today I actually had lunch and had a good time talking to the interns. it was also so good to speak english again with the students from florida. they actually thought I knew what I was doing . Scary thought.I am going to try to go to find instute

No comments: