Sunday, March 7, 2010

Peru Saga: alcohol and church

So don´t worry I had two dinners yesterday and I am not losing weight but I bought some apples to start getting at least some vitamins. Last night I got ready to go clubbing...however, I went to my friends house who invited me and she was shocked by what I was wearing (tshirt and jeans) She said that I needed a collared shirt and slacks so I dug my pants out of my pack and they were pretty wrinkled and then put on my polo type shirt that I used for work. It turns out that we weren´t going clubbing and that we were going to a party for her cousin that was graduating from nursing school. I thought that this was going to be alright with my dress. It turns out that the party was all of the graduating class and their parents and they were wearing suits and ties and that nobody else was meeting with us. So already sticking out as a white guy, I walked into the party being very underdressed. There were 400 eyes staring at me as we walked in.They also brought us dinner at 1100pm ( I had eaten right after I wrote the email last night) But I ate the pork and mash potatoes. Also then there was a toast, which I thought was going to be lemonade that wasn´t. It burned as I sipped it and made me feel a little funny. I instantly recognized my mistake and then asked the girl who invited me to drink it. It was a drink called Pisco Sour that had 40% alcohol. We ended up having a great time. It was like LDSBC prom but latin style and we danced until 3 am. At 2am there was something called La hora loca when a bunch of clowns came with balloon animals and masks to the dance. It was a little different. The greatest part was that all of the parents were also dancing with the 20 year olds at 3 am when we left. I told them how I didn´t even think my brothers and sisters would have made it that long never the less my parentsI also made a mistake and opened my mouth about the funny differences between our cultures. As latins are more passionate and show their emotions a lot more than we do (even more than mom). And how adults have stuffed animals on their beds and in their taxis with them is almost pathologic for borderline personalities in our culture. It is funny that I have culture shock after visiting all the places and cultures that I have seen. I don´t know if that sip of alcohol helped disinhibit me or if i just have diarrhea of the mouth but I realized after that they probably didn´t need to hear that.Luckily we had such a good time that was not the most memorable part of the night. I woke up this morning at 9 when my doc called me to see if I wanted to come to breakfast with his family. Afterwards he mentioned that their was an LDS church close by and I went to see if there was a meeting at 11 or at 1 so I could go home and change. It turns out that their meetings start at 8 and 10 and so I went to church in my t shirt and jeans from the suggestion of the elders. I met a bunch of young single adults and found out that the institute building is by my house and am going to go to class in the next week ( they have classes all day long and full time staff) and to their party on Friday. It turns out that there are 7 stakes here and a million people. Funny how that is a lot of mormons and I still haven´t met one in the hospital.After church I went home to find out there was no power and my room was baking so I took my book and went to the beach and fell asleep from feeling the effects from the night before. So I am a little baked right now. I am about to call home but I thought that I would write this stuff down before. I am disappointed that I only have a week and a half left as I am just overcoming my culture shock, feeling comfortable at the hospital, and getting to know the members.Such is lifeScott

No comments: