Thursday, March 11, 2010

Peru Saga: Family does serve a purpose

I was sick this morning but I went to work at noon and ended at 8pm. 2 guys with bullet wounds. One was 16 and was shot once through the back and died. The other guy was 32 and shot 3 times and lived. It isn´t known if it was the police that shot them or if it was another gang. The 16 yearold mother came about 2 hours later looking for her son. When the intern told her that her son had passed away she was frantic. Screaming, crying and wouldn´t let go of the doctor telling him to tell her that it wasn´t true. Another 13 year old girl was hit by a taxi. She came in very confused and in and out of consciousness. She was frantic and kept trying to get off her gurney while we held her down. When I said her name for some reason she came back to reality for a second and was calm and then would go crazy again. It was eerie. She didn´t break any bones but definitely had a concusion. Another guy cut off the tip of his finger and I had to sew his finger together. I had to put the needle through the finger nail which was a pain because there was no skin to put it back together. Another guy had an electrical burn from work, and was in so much pain. We had to check his heart and his bladder for injury because electric burns cause damage throughout. Pain is one thing that they undertreat here and that we overtreat in the US. I think I would want my pain to over treated though.Another 6 year old boy cut his head open on the swingset. It was down to the bone. I had to sew two layers. he was pretty frantic. I first had him count to two hundred for me as I sewed him up. Then we played the animal guessing game like mason likes to play. I don´t know too many animals in Spanish as he would try to have me guess animals like walrus. It was quite a challenge. Then I asked him about his birthday and he told me about his friends and the food. Then he wanted to play the guessing game with food. It took about 30 minutes to sew him up given his wound size and my inexperience. I put in about 12 stitches (6 in each layer) so it was great to at least have something to distract him. Another day in ER paradise. Tomorrow church dance Wahoo!Scott

No comments: