Friday, March 5, 2010

Another crazy in day in a peruvian ER

Please let me know if you don´t want updates. It doesn´t hurt my feelings to take you off the list. Also I forgot to warn you that these emails are rated R for violence. The following is a little more of the sameI am starting to feel more and more comfortable with what I am doing. Today I worked hard for 12 hours. I started the day rounding on patients and writing all of the perscriptions for every patient in the trauma ward. They have to buy all of their supplies so this means along with medications I have to write how many syringes, IV bags, needles etc each patient needs. I feel like I am actually helping and part of the team...which is good since there are only two interns with little supervision to take care of the entire ER. Today I sutured a man who fell 2 stories, put braces on 3 people who were run over, cleaned wounds of people who were attacked by rotweilers (sp?) one of them was 2 year old boy. I also put some pampers on a guy who was encephalopathic from elevated ammonia levels from chronic cirrhosis of the liver.Also today another man died while I was giving him CPR. He came in blue with no heart rate. Some guy had shot him in the head. I took over doing chest compressions for the doctor and it almost looked like his heart was coming back from the monitor. We paused and took an EKG and there was no electric activity. It is a crazy feeling as you hear the ribs crushing underneath your hands every now and again. Reality hurts to when your hopes are dashed as you think that this guy might make it from what the monitor tells you. In the ER there is nothing to separate the patients so everyone sees everything. It was pretty traumatizing for the guy I just had sutured his head. The patient´s family was devastated and was wailing outside. The ER is so busy that you don´t have time to pause and realize that someone died as another patient asks for your help or comes in runover by a car. You would think that something like this would affect me but it didn´t at least not the way I thought it would.I came home and got a $2 haircut and some peruvian chinese food which is like nothing I have ever had before and now I am going to bed. Tomorrow is another day and I am going to party with some of the interns after work. BTW I have to keep track of my patients for school and felt like this is the easiest way. Sorry for the graphic details

No comments: