Monday, March 1, 2010

Gun Shots, traffic accidents= good times

Hello Family,This has been a crazy couple of days here in Peru. Yesterday was my first night on call in ER here. The ER is mostly staffed by medical students who do most of the work because they do their internship during medical school. Any ways so I have been working mostly with them while in the ER. Every hour especially on the weekend people come in with gun shot wounds. I had to sew up and clean out a couple of these wounds. One of the guys I had to sew up was a drunk guy that was stabbed in the butt. I had to clean out his wound pretty well with iodine which made it bleed. After I sewed him up he started to develop a hematoma luckily we put pressure on it and it went down. The thing is he got up to fast after being on the table for too long and he then went down and fainted. We got him back up and everything was fine. I also had to sew up a couple of sliced feet and traffic accident people. I have lots of good supervision and help here. It is just sad to see how many people get shot here everyday. (These are in neighborhoods that are not close to where I am at. I am in a very safe place as a side note). It was a busy night and I am still recuperating. The most frustrating thing about this experience is that the people have to buy all of their supplies at an outside pharmacy after they are evaluated before we fix them. Because this is the hospital that serves the poor about 70% of the population, they can´t supply sterile gloves, iodine, gause, or suture. People are only charged $3 for hospital services. The doctor that I am working with is a really interesting guy who want to show me the best of peru. He takes me out to eat everyday at different restaurants and pays for me and the other medical students. Everyone here is shocked that I am LDS as they have never met an LDS person before and they are surprised that I don´t drink. I was pretty bored and then they all complained to me the next day about their hangovers and how they wished they hadn´t drank. I wanted to say that I wish that they hadn´t either because it was 5 hours of my life that I can´t get back.Anyways everything is good here. I hadn´t realized how horrible the earthquake was in Chile until the doc that I am working with bought me a news paper. Hope everyone is alright at homeScott

No comments: