Sunday, July 23, 2006

Ninh Binh, Hanoi and awesome trains

Trains are awesome! We took the overnight train to Hanoi (kind of we got off at Ninh Binh to see the city) We had to split up to get on the train. I went bymyself while the other three went in a car with 3 vietnamese women. I was in a car with an Austrailian couple, 1 guy from Chicago, and 2 girls from quebec. I think that I got the better deal by being by myself. I had a great time talking with these people. The two guys were talking and found out that they both got scammed out of $8 and their vietnamese-english dictionaries by the same guy. It was pretty funny. I wondered what that guy was going to do with so many dictionaries that he scams off people. I slept on the top bunk and the "hard beds" were actually thin, but comfortable mattresses. I had a hard time sleeping even though it was comfortable. My mind wouldn't shut off; I kept thinking about how different Vietnam is, what makes someone happy, and what I need to do in my life. Life of PI was on a boat, life of scott was on a midnight train to Hanoi.We decided to get off early in the city of Ninh Binh. We took another motorcycle tour to these cool mountains jutting out of the rice patties. We climbed a mountain to look out over the valley. We then took a bout tour of the river with an old married couple (they were like 50!) They were so funny and kept asking me when I was going to get married to Anne. I can't tell you how many times people have said that! We had a great time joking around in their broken english and my broken Vietnamese (which consists of reading out of a phrase book.) We had a great time. They trapped us though, while we were in the boat they sold us handicrafts for $2. I felt guilty and got some more stuff for mom and dad's house.We took a bus to Hanoi. A 25 year old kid sat next to me. We talked for a while and he invited us to come to his house 30 km out of Hanoi. I declined but he was very nice. Tonight we went to a water puppet show. It was amazing.They used fire works under water, traditional music, and awesome wood puppets. I felt underdressed it was such a cool event.Well hope everyone is good. Tomorrow we go for a 3 day boat tour in Halong Bay. were sleeping on the boat, So no emails for a while.

No comments: