Thursday, July 12, 2007

Dundee Died and Africa

Hello Family and friends,

I just received Paul’s email saying they had to put our dog, Dundee, to sleep. I can’t express the emotions that I am feeling and I am so sorry for the emotions that Dad and all of you most be experiencing. I know that it must have been a horrible decision to have to make and the house feels empty now. He has been a part of our lives for so long. I don’t feel like writing very much, but I wanted to capture a couple of thoughts because I don’t know when the power will be on or off here.

I never imagined Africa like this. I went through a little culture shock the first week to Ghana and my project, but now I am in the enjoying the people and the work here. The people are so friendly and kind. I have been learning Twi and now everyone in the villages feels like it is an invitation to talk freely to me. They laugh so hard at me and are just so excited that a white guy would try to learn their language. Just through my attempts has changed either my perception of them or their perception of me or both and we have become instant friends with anyone I meet by asking them “how is your body today.” I never would have figured that a people could be so accepting. We were mapping out a village today using GPS mapping so that we can do epidemiology research. I just say a little bit of my Twi and they laugh. The children chant “obronie” meaning white boy everywhere we go. It is great to see rural African life like this and in a way that I know will benefit them with their health.

The schisto project has definitely changed from my project to being the Ghanians and the expert’s project as it should be. I am perfectly happy to play the role of the gopher. I had to call Stinky to look something up for me on the internet because of the slow speed at the hospital. I am nervous and excited to see what is going to happen on Saturday. We are then going to do malaria clinics on Sunday. The people here are very religious and many are extremely sad that they are going to miss church. There are religious signs everywhere and are associated with everything such as “Jesus Saves Tire store” or “the twelve apostles taxi service” it is pretty great. Our bus driver is actually a mormon stake Sunday school president and it has been very interesting to hear his story as he was a missionary here when the Ghanian government closed the church down for a couple of years.

I just crashed an African party with drums, traditional dress and dancing. These people have extremely great muscle control and know how to move. It was good to see how culture has adapted but maintained import identity of these people through music. I thought that you would be happy to know that I played my harmonica on the bus today and will probably play later also.

You are in my thoughts and prayers,

No comments: