Sunday, July 22, 2007

Monkeys, Hippos and waterfalls

HEllo everybody,
I am in Wa a city in northern Ghana. Yesterday we went on a real Jungle boat ride. We went to the Hippo sancturary here and went for a canoe ride and saw about 7 hippos. I tried to capture the moment on my camera, but I don't have sound so you cant here them grunting and blowing water. It was pretty cool. We went with a girl that did an exchange in Chicago and had just returned and wanted to show us around. We stayed in this 3 dollar hotel and had MRE's last night that people left from our group. I am traveling around with a kid named Pete, he is a first year med student. We got to Wa on a bus that we had to take at 4 in the morning. Unfortunately Pete had to stand the whole time because the bus which usually holds 45 people had over 90 on it that day. It was pretty crazy.
Before this we were staying in the aweome city of Kintempo which I think has been my favorite city in Ghana. We went and saw these cool waterfalls and then we went to a monkey sactuary. The monkeys would come about four feet away from us and then they would ignore us as if we weren't there. This is because the people in the village consider them so sacred that they bury their bodies in a monkey grave yard when they find them. We had mangos the size of your head that were the sweetest things I have ever eaten. They were so good!
Getting to Kintempo was an adventure in itself. I left to meet my friends Pete and Carrie (Carrie went home after Kintempo). I took off on a bus by myself. The buses here however run different theean the US. They wait until they are entirely full and then they leave. So I ended up waiting on the bus for two hours so that 3 more people would climb on. I was four hours late to meet my friends in Kumasi. Luckily a woman let me use her cell phone to call. ON the bus we watched some Nigerian movies that were hillarious. One was about a girl that gets cursed by a woman. Everytime she sees her bible it turns her into a thief. She first stole all of her friends underware by putting them all on. She then shoplifts and gets caught and the people stone her until a nun saves her. Her family says that they wish that she would have died because no one wants to marry a thief. She joins a convent and then her mom brings her bible and she starts stealing and gets her friends to steal dressed up like nuns. Until a witch doctor curses them and they get swollen hands and bottoms. There was another movie taht I will write about later.
We are trying to get to Burkina Faso today. I have to go. I will email when we get to Woogodoogou.
Scott

No comments: