Thursday, July 26, 2007

crocodiles, prostitutes and motorcycles

I am writing on a french keyboard so there will probably be many mistakes. This has been the trip of a life time and I am still loving every minute of it. Yesterday we explored ouagadougou and we met some guys that wanted to practice their english with us. So they also became our tour guides; We went to the flambou de la revolucion, which is a monument dedicated to the independce of burkina faso. We also went to the film makers monument: they have a film festival every year here. We then went to the embassy to pick up my visa, and it fills good to have my passport again. It was a good thing that I got those extra pages because they wouldnùt have been able to stamp any where for my visa. We then to the musuem of usic where we saw how the guitar, drum, and xylephone evloved into the instruments that they are today in burkina; It is so cool to see how the wood can make such cool sounds! The end room was a band that played traditional music. I contributed by playing Bob Marley on my harmonica;
These guys, oasman; rafikki; and osuani are 26 and have been so cool. They took us later that night to a bar awith traditional music and then took us to the clubbing. For a wednesday this place was rocking. They caught me checking out this girl and so they being hospitable as they are told her to come back to the room with me, I think she was a hooker or a gift; I had to explain that my religion didnùt alow this, and hey had to tell the girl and just laughed at me. Africa clubs are awesome! Everyone dances with everyone and no one cares how they dance; It is just a way to express yourself, like it should be. There was no freaking just plain dancing. it was a blast.
Our Burkina friends picked us up this morning and we went to the sacred crocodile compound on motorcycle about an our out of the city. It is the best away to see any country! I think that it is ironic that I think that motorcylces are dangerous in the states, even though you wear a helmet, obey laws and actuallly have lanes!, but I feel perfectly safe in Africa and the chaos of the streets.
At the crocodile park, we had to buy a chicken to lure the crocks away from the big ones inorder to get a picture of us sitting on one. In this lake the size of Falcon Park there were over 100 crocs! It was pretty funny and frightening to see the crocs surround us while our guide had a live chicken and was trying to get the crocs to move differnet places. They kept telling us that they werenot dangerous as our firends would jump as much as I did when the crocs would start running; I finally got a picture of me straddling a croc, but I was too freaked out to sit;
Time is up and so I will write again in Ghana

No comments: