Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Comments on being a cheif

A quick note:
I wanted to write a little about our driver. He is next in line to be the chief in his village of 2500 people. He doesn’t feel like he is ready and so he is on the run. Last time the kidnapped him, tied him up, and put him in his uncle’s house. If they can get him to take the oaths, then he will have to be the chief. He wants to make money as a driver first and he is divorced. Because they can’t have a single chief, they will force him to get married. He says he doesn’t want to marry a “black woman” (African) again. But that his cousin married a girl from Jamaica and that this might be the way for him. He escaped from his uncles house by breaking a window and is on the run. He knows that he will be the chief and is alright with that but doesn’t want to have the restriction and responsibility of being a chief and a husband quite yet. (I think I can understand how he feels!) He is the one that has offered me free hotel and ride from Kumasi to Accra anytime that I want. I also forgot to mention that our bus ride from Ougadougou to Accra is going to be 20 hours! You only live once so this is how I am living!

No comments: