Wednesday, June 14, 2006

One night in Bangkok....

We just got back from dinner at a Lebanese restaurant with real lebanese people. The menu was in Arabic and was in the Arabic district of Bangkok. Great food. Our professors than walked us through the trashy red light district (in comparison to the more formal red light district where the rich people go.) It was a very "in your face" place with girls and girls who used to be guys in provocative clothing and strip joints. It was pretty uncomfortable and a little unnerving because I was acosted and groped by people that I couldn't distinguish their sex.We finally got out and were waiting for a cab and a 40 year old prostitute with big red cheeks and bags of her stuff was trying to get customers for the night. She was really gross and grabbed my arm and didn't want to let me go. She only wanted the equivalent of $1 to take away my virtue. If all temptations looked like her, heaven would be easy to get. I thought of all of the diseases that she probably had. I then thought about the life that she was living and how she was probably looking for food and could only feel sorry for her. As the foreign guys passed by, I actually hoped someone would take her up on her offer because it broke my heart to see her rejected again and again with all of her earthly belongings in the bag next to her and she was only trying to survive.It is crazy to think of the different situations that life takes us. Why are we born into the family that we are born into? It doesn't make sense.I will write more later

No comments: