Friday, November 8, 2002

Day of the Dead

Mom, I am glad that you got my message on the machine. I am also glad thatyour birthday was such an adventure. I hope bubba got my Birthday email too.Well, it is probably about time to email you guys especially what happenedlast weekend. One of our friends from the organization that we work with inthe village invited us to go to his house for the day of the dead. It was inPatzcuaro Michoacan for all of you with Mexican Geography skills. Any ways weleft on Thursday night and we went in his truck. The bed of his truck wasfilled to the brim with flowers that they use to decorate thier houses forthe day of the dead. When we got to the village at about 3:30 in the morning,all of the kids were outside. Because they had to wait until 4 sharp to putup some altars for the dead. We got there and we slept on the floor by thefamily shrine to the dead. It wasn�t too bad. He has 7 kids, one of them ismarried and has a kid. All of them live in the house with them and they havefour rooms. They also had a dry latrine and took pales of water for showers.They had an electric stove but they also used a fire to cook. Nevertheless Ifelt I was camping. It was actually very comfortable. I didn�t shower orchange my clothes for the 4 days we were there though.The next day, Nov 1. we went to the cementary because it was the day peoplebrought bread and food and candels to the graves of the children who had died.They believe that the dead come back to the villages during these times soyou should bring them there favorite food. We also helped put up flowers onstrings that helped show the dead where the offerings in the houses were.We went to a birthday party of another lady from the organization, and shelived in a palace. It was beautiful. It was interesting to see the contrast.We had fish soup and the best fresh tortillas that I have ever had. Theycooked them over a fire that Chris and I made. I was proud of that.For the night of the dead, Nov. 1, we went to the capital of the Perepachaempire, tsintsuntsan, where there were tons of tourists because it is worldknown for its celebrations. We watched these cool traditional dances wherethe children put on masks of old people and wore wooden sandels that were loudagainst the wooden stage. We also went to a play at 11-2 o clock in themorning of Don Juan. It was in a church. We then went to the cementary wherethere were thousands of candels lighting the graves. People brought food forthe dead, Fresca, alcohol, breads, tomales, etc., kind of what we do when webuy the grandparents favorite candy for memorial day. They also sleep andhave parties in the graveyard to celebrate the arrival of their loved ones.They had huge altars of flowers. It was an experience I won�t forget.We also went to a village that is on an island in the middle of a lake. Youhave to take a ferry out. It was great and beautiful. That night we went toa dance with the young people in the village because they get married whenthey are 21 most of the kids were around 13 to 18. It was fun but it was sadto see kids of 13 drinking beer.We discovered another town the next day. There were tons of art shops. Dadyou should be glad mom wasn�t here. Chris and I bought wool sweaters for $10a piece. We bartered him down from $20. We drove home that night with 8people in this small truck. It was pretty uncomfortable, and we got home at 4in the morning on mon. I had to get up at 10 and do homework for my class.But hey, youre only a study abroad once. You have to live it up.Nevertheless my body broke down. I had the double edged sword on Wed. I wasthrowing up and had diarreah at the same time. It was pretty bad., but it wasgood to be able and to have to rest.I also had to register for my classes for next semester. It is going to be anawful opposite to this semester with my biology, organic chemistry, phyisicswith thier labs and recitations and an english class. I had my fun nextsemester is going to be death. However, this experience in Mexico isdefinitely worth it. I might come back very poor in money, but I am rich withlife. That is pretty stupid sounding but hey, that is how it is.I also have found my research project for next semester. I am going toanalyze the soil and environment of one of the villages here to find out whatvegetables will grow better so that they can have more variation in thierdiet. I have a couple of professors at USU that are going to help me. Also Iemailed the Engineering department at USU to find out if they would beinterested in finding a way to irigate this village so that when the raindoesn�t fall at the right times, the people will still be able to have cropsand not have to worry about surviving on the money from their relatives in theUS.

No comments: