Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Beaching it in Colombia

June 16th
Today we woke up and Scarlett was sick with a sore throat. She went and got medicine and then laid down in the hammock. She, however, was a trooper and we took a boat ride to a beach that you could only get to by boat. We had a good time in at the beach; such a good time that I didn’t put my second or third coat of sunblock on, so I am a little red. Sherrie and I went snorkeling for $10. This was my first time snorkeling and for anyone that hasn’t tried this before it is a strange sensation. First my nose was a little big for my mask so I got a little water in my mask and water up my nose. I also felt a little panicky as I had to breathe out of my mouth. However, I picked it up pretty quickly and was able to calmly swim. I thought it was amazing to see all of the brain, black, fan, white and tree coral. We also picked up sea anemones and there was this animal that looked like a flower and when you would try to touch it, it would suck into a tube. I would swim down the 10 or so feet every time to touch these animals to watch them suck their flower in. There were tons of different fish that would glow blue, yellow, black and white. It was a cool experience. The highlight of the trip was when we went to a huge coral in the shape of a moose antler. We then came back to the hostel and swam in the pool to get all of the salt water out of all of our crevices and noses. We got fresh blackberry juice and listened to the Rastafarian skinny black bar tender with dreadlocks sing to Motown, rap and Alanis Morissette while he made our drinks and while we waited for our food. He is the epitome of cool with his dreads and carefree attitude. (He might have smoked a little too much pot though because it takes either a real confident person or slightly high person of any gender to sing like that with Alanis. ) I laughed pretty hard as he wailed away with her high-pitched tones. Life is good and I hope to be less inhibited like the bar tender so that I can enjoy life the way I want. However I think that I am doing a pretty good job of enjoying life so far. I am pretty afraid of responsibility right now because doing whatever the heck I want feels pretty darn good.Peace out

No comments: