Tuesday, June 9, 2009

BOGOTA COLOMBIA

Hello Everybody,I don't know if mom and dad got the last email that I sent to them to tell them I was alright so can somebody verify with them. Also let me know if you don't want to get these emails because it doesn't hurt my feelings if you feel like this is spam.We got into Bogota on Sunday night after I was bumped up to first class again. I thought of all of the flights that I didn't want to be in 1st class it was this one because I didn't want people to think that I was rich also the pizza factory dough is probably made out of potatoes because I was pretty gassy the whole flight. My stomache hurt so bad, I felt like I had date gut. When we got to Bogota. I was a little bit nervous but my nerves were calmed by how friendly everyone is here. It was also nothing that I expected because I had to get out my jacket because it was so cold. Sherrie and I went to our hostel and when they buzzed the door to let us in, I pushed a little too hard and flew down the flight of stairs. It was a great entrance. The place we stayed was a hostel with travelers from all over the world. We stayed in a room with three beds and a shower that would turn on when you would turn on the faucet on the sink or when the people downstairs from us would turn on their sink. We used the three blankets on our beds that night because it was so cold. We ended up talking until 1 am and had a hard time getting up the next morning. The next day we wandered around the city. We went to the main city square where there were thousands of pigeons and old women selling corn to feed them "toppins a bag." It was a huge square built by the spanish conquistadores and housed the court building that was taken over by the guerrillas in the 1980's where they killed 100 people and the supreme court justices. It was a cool place. We also went to a free museum that was donated by Bolero who paints portraits of very obese people, He repainted the Mona lisa and the last supper with fat people. There were also a couple of Picasos. We then went to Montserrate which is a cathedral on the top of 500 foot cliff on one of the mountains that surrounds Bogota. You have to take a Gondola to get up the cliffs. We met up with some colombian born USA ers who wanted to know how we felt in Colombia. We told them that so far we haven't had any reason to worry and they reassured us. We then went down on the gondola and I listened to nun talking to a soccer star from Africa about his life in colombia.We went and had arepes which are a type of tortilla made with a special flour. the man who owned the restaurant had a great time teaching us about the typical Colombian food. We also bought things for Scarlet's birthday (she was the one that was going to get married and the reason we came down, but called it off) We went to go pick her up from the airport because Sherrie had told her the wrong day that we were flying. Scarlets dad came also. He and her cousin drove us back to our hostel. He was a little concerned that we were staying in a hotel for only $7 a night (they are a well off family) and her cousin and he couldn't understand why we would want to travel the way were traveling. It definitely a cultural thing that I think falls more into European than American to back pack in South America. We finally found our hostel (I don't have the best sense of direction given that I took Sherrie to the same square 3 times and not on purpose) Today we went and helped Sherrie buy an emerald and bought our tickets to get back to Bogota from Cartagena. We then took a nice bus to la Valle de Leyva where we are now. It is a colonial city that is all white buildings and cobblestone streets in the Andes. We are staying in a great hostel and are going horse back riding in the morning and then off to San Gil tomorrow to do some white water rafting. We are relaxed and happy and definitely safe as there are police and military people every where. Fortunately I think that this is going to be a very relaxing and uneventful trip. I am traveling with two vvery attractive girls and people are always checking them out and then leave them alone when the see me. I am pretty intimidating

No comments: