Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Internal Medicine rotation

Internal Medicine rotation was rough. During most of the rotation, my stomach was so tense that I would have diarrhea and want to vomit. Mostly because I felt that the attending physicians were going to attack me for something I didn't know. On my third day of the rotation, my attending asked me a question about diabetes management that he had mentioned in a noon lecture series that I couldn't remember what he said because I was eating lunch and it was the first time I heard about diabetes management. When I asked him what the answer was, he wouldn't tell me and told me to find it out for myself. I looked for four hours for the paper he was talking about and asked other students, residents and interns and couldn't find the answer. I finally found the answer and he never asked me the question again. I finally felt that I got the hang of internal medicine after two weeks and then I switched to cardiology where the whole game of learning what the attending wanted started again. This time it was more complicated because my attending didn't like guidelines. It was a pretty traumatic two weeks and then I got the hang of it. It was interesting when my attending told me that patients feel that doctors are like gods. I thought that the god complex was just a myth....

No comments: