Sunday, June 22, 2008

Crazy Burkina!

We got to the border and we went through with little problems. The Burkina border control were so nice and friendly. In order to try to get a better transport to Ouagadougou, we told the tro tro that we wanted the extra money that we paid to get to Ouaga back. We went to the "bus" station were a line went...to our surprise it was a nicer tro tro but not the buses that we were still expecting. We waited another couple of of hours for the tro tro to fill up. We got the front seat with the driver. I think it was because we were white because we were the last in line and the told us to go to the front. We were so tired at that point that we took it and I didn't realize the special treatment until we were driving. We had our lunch which consisted of tuna on a baguette which was so good. On the way the driver got in an arguement with one of the passengers and he actually stopped the tro tro to fight with him. Luckily one of the other passengers calmed them down. The driver through out the drive was cursing under his breath at these guys. He tried to hit them while he was driving. He tried to get me on his side but I had no idea what he was saying. We finally got to Ouaga and our stop was the same tro tro stop where we caught the tro tro to leave Ouaga to Mali. We then took a taxi to the Catholic Cathedral and stayed in the nunery that night. I met up with my friend Rasmane that I met the time before. I was so happy to see him because he was a familiar face that I knew I could trust. I spoke to him in French. He told me that our other friend had left for Spain to work and that he was hoping to go to the US. I told him to keep practicing his English and to let me know what happened. We then went to dinner Julia, Rasmane, and two guys that we met on the street on the way to ATM at the cathedral. We then went on the back of the motos to an out door concert. Rasmane told me that the guy with Julia was known as a "bad boy." I thought this was ironic that we felt more comfortable with our muslim friend Rasmane than the Christian who was with Julia. I told Julia, she still insisted on riding back with him and we went back to our hostel. I was pretty disappointed at that point that we only had one night in Ouaga and I couldn't take the girls to the crocodile pools and that I couldn't hang out with Rasmane, but the next morning we had to take off to the airport. I bought a batik from the nuns for my parents. The Christian guys brought their stuff to sell us the next morning. I specifically wanted to buy from Rasmane as I know that he worked part time in a shop and bread store. He went along with the Christians as I knew that he had to be loyal to his country men before the Americans. I refused to buy because I wanted to wait for Rasmane. We went to the airport and Rasmane was waiting there for us. I bought a big batik of an elephant from him with couble the money than it was worth. He told me he didn't have change, and I told him that I didn't care about the money. I think that he understood that it was more about our friendship than money. We continue to email once every couple of months short messages and he wished me a Merry Christmas which I thought was ironic and great. We left Burkina and headed back to Ghana.

No comments: